Bens Stuff

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Why not converge?

Where's my convergence? I want my Apple iPod to make phone calls for me, play video's for me, play J2ME games for me, be WiFi enabled so it can login to my corporate network and check my email on Exchange, take 5MP pictures for me, allow me to IM people and surf the net, and play MP3's all in an iPod-like fit and finish. Why is this so hard? I DO NOT WANT to have an mp3 player, a cell phone, and a 5MP digicam all in my pockets.

Why no, I am not happy to see you because I have all this crap stuck in my pants pockets.

I say this because I'm about to buy a Sony Ericsson W600i walkman phone which almost has everything. It's the closest so far at a decent price anyways. Once Apple figures this out, their record iPod sales from 2005 will pale in comparison.

Motorola's ROKR E1 wasn't that great, but their new ROKR E2 and SLVR phones look decent. But I can't wait until they get released to the US before I get one. My old green-screen, midi-playin v60s just is too old and crap-tastic to wait.

I know some people will say that convergence is a bad thing and that a convergence-type device may be a jack of all trades but a master of none. Well that may be true at first, but manufacturers will get better and hopefully learn from their mistakes. But if they never try, then yeah, convergence is bad. But do you really want to carry around three bulky devices with different interfaces and capabilities, and three exorbitant prices around all the time? I'd rather carry one sleek iPod-ish device that does everything for me.

1 Comments:

  • You're idea is completely reasonable. It's been thought of by every consumer before, but realistically--any product that costs that much would cost as much as a blackberry, mp3 player, and camera in one price tag... I'm not sure if Apple has a market for it. They have some already, the thing microsoft is doing--which is like a hand-held laptop. I don't know if those can dial phonecalls, but I wouldn't see why not.

    A few reasons why Apple, in my opinion, has not done this is because:

    1) No significant competitive advantage.
    2) Lack of resources to pull it off in an innovative manner.
    3) It's not a part of their business agenda.
    4) Lack of interest by the American consumer (Apple's primary market) for an all-in-one device.
    5) Lack of a U.S. "3G" telecom network.
    6) They are milking what they have now and may "roll out" newly converged features as the marketplace becomes more competitive.

    Apple has historically been a black-box company. They typically sell products they research and develop "in-house." In my opinion, Apple takes great pride in being innovative. I also think that the only way for them to venture into phones is if they developed and patented technology to push it one notch further... It's as if, unless they have their own telecom business unit, they won't offer telephone services...

    But an ipod with a camera? Why not? They already have them in-place in their new laptops. I see that as what's next.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home