Bens Stuff

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

blogging software and hosting

Ok, so I went out and bought some cheap webhosting at www.1and1.com. I got their free 6 month "BusinessPro" package and I want to blog on that site instead of this one. Do I need to have 1&1 install some blogging software for me? I didn't see it as an included application. I wonder if I can install my own.

I know there are tons of people out there that have done this. Anyone have any clues? What about using my own PC at home and set it up as a webserver. I have Earthlink cable service and according to them I can run a server. I have a dynamic IP though, what do I need to do to register my domain against it? Can you even do that?

1 Comments:

  • Yes, you install your own blogging software. It's a fairly straightforward process, mostly involving FTPing the files up to the server.

    The two Big Dogs of self-hosted blogging software are Movable Type and WordPress. Personally, I think that the less-famous b2evolution is better than WordPress. The only real advantage of WordPress is that it's so simplistic and has so few options, you can get WP going in a couple of minutes whereas you'll spend a couple of hours getting b2evo set up to your satisfaction.

    I wouldn't recommend putting up a server on your home system, especially if you've got hosting elsewhere. Keeping a webserver safe from the bad-guys is getting to be a fulltime job. And you'd want your webserver machine to not be used for anything else, 'cuz you want to limit your losses when the machine does get cracked.

    -- Doug

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home