Bens Stuff

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Design Patterns

There are a lot of books out there that I need to read. But there are a couple that always seem to make my list but never seem to get bought. I have a nagging need to read some books on design patterns. I've done well enough reading articles on the web, but I need some books now.

The first book is the standard which I believe every good developer has read at some point, Martin Fowler's excellent Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture. Next is a good book I've skimmed over a couple times, Refactoring to Patterns by Joshua Kerievsky. OnJava.com has a good article written by the authors of Head First Design Patterns.

Next is where to buy these books. You could always try your local Barnes and Nobles if you need it today. Or you could go to Amazon.com which is where I always bought my books in the past. But I found out the other day about Bookpool.com which has better prices than both B&N and Amazon.

Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture - http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0321127420
Head First Design Patterns - http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0596007124
Refactoring to Design Patterns - http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0321213351

1 Comments:

  • Bookpool definitely rocks. They currently have a bunch of 'open source' books marked down 43%. I got two $45 books for $25 each, plus free shipping. It was worth the wait (< 5 days).

    I have Head First Design Patterns too. I would recommend it to students and beginners, but not to someone that already has a good grasp of design patterns. It's a very 'baby steps' kind of approach. It's great if you're still learning, but it makes a terrible reference.

    By Blogger Brian, at 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home